Friday, September 4, 2009

Being the Browning


For most of us who are familiar with Jamaican culture, you are aware of the infamous "Browning". Some kind of seasoning (yes, but that's not what I'm referring to here), some chocolate creation (nope), simply the mixed girl.



In Jamaica there are people who go to all kinds of drastic means to become the so-called fabulous browning. This has led to not only academics having a field day hypothesizing and theorizing about the motivations behind this, but singers and DJs enshrining the browning in the lyrics of dancehall and reggae.

Now I have always wondered about this. Why the fuss? I am but a product of one whole heap a mix up. Being this browning brought with it unwanted attention (at times very creepy) from the opposite sex, misconceptions about my class/status and personality from others. Why though? Darker girls are just as fascinating. But now I have grown to appreciate the other aspects of my mix-up self and the accompanying contradictions that go with it.

A girl who:

1. Loves being neat to the point of obsessive compulsion but who hates to clean.

2. Is extroverted about almost everything not directly related to herself but who is shy and modest at times just the same.

3. Is loud and gaudy with my likes of overly bright colours worse when paired with animal prints but loves clean lines and the style of Grace Kelly.

4. Is a little raunchy like Lil Kim (in her rap days) but in the same breath a subtler sexy like Estelle.

5. Is a workaholic who procrastinates.

6. The girly-girl (pink, puffs and cute) but sports, dirt and grit get me going sometimes too.

And I could go on. But here's the thing with my contradictions, they fit perfectly in the mix up shell of the Browning's body. And if it's one thing I love (as much as I may have a burning need for meticulous order) it's not being put into the proverbial box. So now instead of wishing "Lord, couldnt this browning thing just go away?" I have decided to embrace all that comes with it. Best part I am a legendary part (if you will, Lol) of island culture. Who wouldn't love that?

So to all my Brownings, BIG UP YUHSELF! You're special too.

-Peace & Love,

Keeta :)

No comments:

Post a Comment