Thursday, May 5, 2011

Hair today, more ME tomorrow....

Hello lovely people. For those of you who pop in and have read a couple of my recent posts, you would have seen me write about my BFF affectionately known as Morgy.

Last week, she did something which shocked A LOT of people. I damn near mashed up her living room couch using it as a brace for my near fall after almost fainting (yes. a bit dramatic I know) when she showed me the "new" Morgy last week. This is who I have always known (see below):

[This was her at her graduation giving our nutty friend a hug :)]

Last week, this was the Morgy I saw (see below):


Where did all the hair go????!!!!

Now I know what some of you may be thinking, it's just hair. It'll grow back, right? But having sat and thought about it, that wasn't even it. It's that after doing what had been done for so may years, the familiar, the known, the conventional, she decided that she was going to redefine and rebrand herself. I did something similar but my dear friend has raised the bar because she's embracing the natural Jheanell. The one the good Lord put on Earth in original form.Natural hair. Going back to her roots (if you would allow me to use a bad pun). 

Seeing the transformation made me think 2 things:
1. She has serious testicular fortitude (i.e. balls) because I don't think I could have done it and...
2. Chris Rock's documentary "Good Hair" (one of my favourite films)

She received no ends of disagreement and disapproval about her decision prior to going ahead with the chop but that didn't stop her. This was to be a part of a new outlook. Morgy has embraced more of herself, the non-physical side- defining herself in a new way. And yes I heard you earlier, "It's just HAIR!" but for a woman it's often so much more. It may be a major consideration, a defining feature and very often changes made, are those preferably of the subtle or easily reversible kind. My friend in her wisdom decided that she would focus on her, the parts which need the most work and deal with her hair and its changes while dealing with life as a newly independent adult and those changes at whatever pace they may come (because hair, like life, goes through many changes as it progresses as well). New hair was just part of a bigger plan.

So the lesson? If you need to go out on a limb and defy a boundary, or type or definition to contribute to the achievement your own goals of actualization, then (as I had suggested a few posts ago) take a deep breath and, just do it!

Peace & Love

xoxo
Keeta :)

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree Keeta! (good hair is my fave movie too)
    I love Morgy's new look!
    I think that too many of us as women view hair as a means of feminine identity. There is nothing wrong with wanting to achieve a certain look once it's done properly but using this look to define who you are just isn't healthy. It IS just hair after all.
    I do applaud Morgy's decision to go natural ( I have neither the time nor patience to maintaining my natural hair)
    Morgy; you will always be you and you will always be beautiful with or without your hair!
    I agree Keeta... If you want to make a change as long as no one gets hurt... DO IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I SO want to bawl right now after reading this! Thanks so much hun!

    The Lord knows I was scared about what I would like after the CHOP. Especially after all these years of being known for my hair!

    I don't regret it one bit though! Just as Steelbottom says I will ALWAYS be ME. ME! With or without long hair!(Thanks hun!)

    *cues India Arie's 'I Am Not My Hair'*
    And ain't THAT the truth Sista!

    P.S. You can call me Soul Sista for now. It is my deepest wish...Lol!;)

    ReplyDelete